Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Blowtorch the Ego

Helluva day. I am exhausted, so this will have to be short, not a full accounting at all.

I was trying to be prepared for pain and humiliation, but still it's all pretty overwhelming. Going this far out of my comfort zone is intense... Material comes at us fast and furious. Most of it is not broken down, and my fellow students seem far ahead of me in terms of ability to soak up steps at an amazing rate. It's hard not to be discouraged by this, but I just breath deep and trying to sponge up as much as I can and keep my bruised and bloodied ego from breathing down my neck while I am trying to learn.

Dianne's class was amazing. We started learning a piece of Leon Collins' choreography. I am dotty about this old school jazz tap. I feel like it's more accessible, not just to me as a dancer, but to the audience as well. (And I use the word accessible without any of the underlying sneer that so often seems to creep into that word when applied to dance. I mean you can access it.)

Ah well, time to hit the hay...

No comments:

Post a Comment