Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Settling In

Today was much better. I am still feeling badly behind the curve in some areas, but am finding ways to laugh at myself and not take it all too seriously. That "what in god's name have I got myself in for" feeling is being replaced by moments of getting in the flow, and even if I am not getting all the steps, at least I manage to be in the right place some of the time. Knee hurting a bit, which is worrisome. Time to stretch and rest. Man, the tap dance crowd is worse than Irish dancers in the warm up dept. No stretching, no yoga, no nothing. Maybe the expectation is that you warm up before class, but no one does. Craziness!

Paul Arslanian's music for dancers class is great. Learning some jazz songs, talking about different approaches to improvisation... getting some good teaching tools there, so bodhran class at Swannanoa here I come!

A few of us went to see Isabel Gotzkowsky and Friends perform on the Inside Outside stage. Great stuff. In particular, a very graceful and mildly comedic piece for two men. Lots of delicious inversion and some capoeira-inspired-looking mock battle movement mixed with lots of nice partnering work. Yum...

Tonight is my last night off this week. Tomorrow and the next night I have ushering duties, and then our first performance on Saturday. Yikes, trying not to think about that. There's an awful lot of this choreography that I just plain do not have. What will they do with me, I wonder? It's one thing to be going through the motions in the back of the class where no one gets hurt if I am royally screwing up...

It is night and the cool air is full of the sound of frogs. And I have to sleep. 'Night out there in interweb land...

No comments:

Post a Comment