Friday, July 2, 2010

Ball Change

Almost 2:30, Derick and a few of the young'uns are jamming hard in the studio as I write this.

It just keeps getting more intense with each passing day. But alongside that intensity comes big helpings of inspiration, some new or (at least more developed) foot-skills, steps and a large dose of jazz. Also quite a few lightbulb moments where Dianne will teach a step that I positively recognize from sean nos dancing I have seen, or Anna Marley's English clog steps. Oh the connective tissue of the branches on the percussive dance tree!

Paul's friends came to play music for our class today, the sax player is none other than Charles Neville. Holy crap-for-crap. The Boston Globe did a nice article on Dianne and the program today, there's also a short video of the class.

aaand tomorrow is our first show. They are not calling it that, but they are expecting an audience of at least 500 people and maybe more like 800, so it's hard to think of it as a student showcase or whatever... I am a little nervous. But at least I am not alone. Quite a few others are in similar overload, so I no longer feel like quite such a goober/outcast. Which is nice.

Wish me luck,
Merde

No comments:

Post a Comment