Thursday, July 8, 2010

Hit the Deck

And I thought I was tired before. Oh well, sleep when you're dead right? Paul got wind that I play music and asked me to play some for class today to help him illustrate some 6/8 jumping off points for improvisation. Whistle jigs and tap dancing! I think this is my new favorite groove. Unexpected possibilities abound. It really feels like a match made in heaven.

Rays class today was fun, we started adding the theatrical element to his choreography. (With which I am still struggling intensely. That's some knotty stuff.) He is pretty inspiring as a teacher. Lots to learn there.

We watched Shantala Shivalingappa perform tonight. Holy South Indian Classical Dance Batman! It was amazing, maybe the best show I have seen here. She was graceful and so so strong. Talk about knowing how to take the stage. And her musicians were redonculous. Flutes, vocals and percussion. These guys were Hard Core. Seriously dialed into some heavy stuff. I don't know if I have ever heard anyone play the flute with that amount of intent. And I have heard some flute playing...

Well, "early to bed and early to rise, makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes." Or so my father has told me...

No comments:

Post a Comment