Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Three and a Break

I begin to type and realize I don't really have the energy for this. I am drained from a long day dancing in the heat. Hit the wall again and again today and just kept going. At this point I feel like we all deserve some kind of award for excellence in a bizarre extreme sport.

I had a few moments today wherein it was difficult to summon the cheery can-do attitude I have been carefully cultivating. This is pretty essential if I am to forge ahead and learn the shapes and weight changes even when not actually getting the steps themselves. There are moments that are discouraging. Like when our resident wunderkind (how do you plural that anyway?) launched into Ray's choreography tonight in the informal step drills that happen every night. Many of them totally have it. This is some of the densest choreography I have ever seen, and they learned it all in two days. And a few of them not only know the steps, but are putting the polish on it and look amazing doing the dance. I am not even close. And the part of me that finds a deep satisfaction in doing a step, knowing it, hearing it, doing it right until it gets easy, is just not getting much love here. Oy vey.

However it's not all doom and gloom. I am slowly hammering out the details and connections in the first piece Dianne taught us. I retreated to the small studio tonight which I thankfully found empty, and drilled hard by myself for about an hour, mapping out the choruses of the dance and solving problems. It feels good to have some of it sinking in. And I have moments in class when I can feel myself doing things I didn't know I could do. Or a step that I had learned in it's most bare-bones form suddenly fills in with the extra sounds and grace notes, seemingly all by itself. It's kind of an amazing feeling. You look down at your feet: "Good job guys, how'd you do that?"

Anyhoo, way past my bedtime. Signing off...

No comments:

Post a Comment